an ongoing history...
The Good Father Frederic Museum was born from a community’s devotion for a man who had an impact on his generation and on the religious history of Québec.
It chronicles the life of this Franciscan missionary priest who was born in France in 1838 and who died in Canada in 1916.
The collection of paintings and sculptures, including some large-scale works, miniature scenes, personal belongings and devotional articles, allows you to get to know, understand and appreciate his life and his work in France, in the Holy Land and in Canada.
Visitors will learn more about this simple and good man, a sincere ascetic who had a great devotion to the Virgin Mary and who was a witness to the “Prodigy of the eyes” at Notre-Dame-du-Cap Shrine. He then became a tireless traveller, visiting many parishes in Québec on foot to share his faith.
Father Frederic was beatified by Pope John Paul II on September 25, 1988. The Canadian Church hopes he will soon be canonized.
By visiting our museum, you will discover and gain a deeper understanding of one man’s devotion and his ability to mobilize a large community of the faithful at a time when religion was one of the main pillars of Québec society.
Key moments in the museum's history
Excavations begin in the basement of Saint-Antoine Chapel. Volunteer workers remove more than 700 loads of soil to convert the basement into a crypt-museum to honour the life of “Good Father Frederic.”
September 11 1938
The crypt is officially opened and blessed
September 18 1938
The growing number of visitors prompts the construction of a new door to welcome more people.
February 12-18 1939
A sale of Franciscan art is held to fund the work being done on behalf of Father Frederic’s cause for sainthood.
January 13 1948
Opening of Good Father Frederic’s tomb
Father Frederic’s remains are legally acknowledged after two medical doctors, Dr. Adélard Tétreault and Dr. Avila Denoncourt, examine his mummified body.
March 28 1988
Second opening of the tomb
The tomb is opened for a second time to exhume the body and remove some relics. It is then moved into the chapel.
The exhibition is completely redesigned.
Several floods lead to major construction being done. The exhibition is again reorganized and improved.
A living memory
The crypt where the remains of 18 Franciscan brothers lie is also redone. The idea arises to make it a living memory by adding eight frescoes relating to the main elements of Franciscan spirituality throughout history. These paintings were the work of Hélène Lafontaine, a professional painter.
The Father Frederic Janssoone Museum’s mission is to preserve and share the memory of Frederic Janssoone, his work and his legacy in the context of the religious culture at the turn of the 20th century and to raise the profile of the historical and spiritual heritage of the Franciscans.